With the city of Thomasville annually hosting one of North Carolina’s largest Memorial Day parades, it seems only fitting and fair that we here at CV Products should take Monday off to participate in this event.
So we’ll be closing up shop at 6 p.m. Eastern Time this Friday, May 24, and reopening our doors at 8 a.m. sharp on Tuesday, May 28, so our employees can enjoy Memorial Day with their families and honor our nation’s veterans.
And speaking of veterans, we’ve got a few in our midst here at CV Products who should be recognized. They include our Product Manager for Drive Systems Bill Wheatley, who served in the Air Force from 1968-1972; our Outside Sales Rep George Hunt, a Marine Corps Vietnam veteran who served for six years; IT Manager Jason Siler, a Navy man from 1993 to 1996; and our Quality Manager Tommy Wright, a four-year Air Force veteran.
Thomasville has long been known as an enthusiastic participant in Memorial Day activities, starting with a wreath-laying ceremony at the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial on I-85 each year and followed by a parade featuring area military personnel.
Not even the government’s sequestration of military assets this year will hamper the city’s plans for a patriotic march from the downtown area to Cushwa Stadium. What the city’s movers and shakers have done is scramble up some civilian support and assets to participate in next Monday’s parade — and the response has been huge. Dozens of retired military personnel who have served our country say they’re excited about climbing into their uniforms and marching in the annual parade. Some of them are even bringing along restored military jeeps and other vehicles.
The schedule of Memorial Day events within our community this weekend include:
Saturday, May 25
- 8:00 a.m.: Memorial Day Weekend Golf Tournament at Winding Creek Golf Course
- 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Wal-Mart and Kmart Memorial Day display
Sunday, May 26
- 4:00 p.m.: Dinner at Hillside Park Baptist Church
- 5:10 p.m.: Memorial Service at Hillside Park Baptist Church
- 7:00 p.m.: 82nd Airborne Division Band Concert at Finch Auditorium
Monday, May 27
- 10:00 a.m.: Laying of the wreath at Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial on I-85; parade bandstand opens
- 11:00 a.m.: Parade proceeds from downtown to Cushwa Stadium
- 12:30 p.m.: Address by Major General, Jeffrey N. Colt, XVIII Airborne Deputy Commander
- 1:00 p.m.: Ceremony and family presentation
- 1:30 p.m.: Parachute jump at Cushwa Stadium.